Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mormons are Worth Loving Too

So I was talking to a friend of mine who just recently joined the church a few months ago. She was telling me that while at work she overheard a couple of her friends/co-workers talking about Mormons and our beliefs. One of her co-workers said, "Ya, I could never be friends with a Mormon." Hmmm...Really?? It just boggles my mind how some people will consciously choose to not be friends with someone just because they have different religious beliefs than them. This isn't the first time I've heard a story like this, but it never fails to surprise me. It's hard for me to understand because I have many friends who are of other faiths. I disagree with and don't understand many of the doctrines that they believe in. But would I ever choose to not be some one's friend just because they have different religious beliefs? Of course not. That seems ridiculous to me, and honestly quite un-Christian like.

What's funny is that they ARE friends with a Mormon...They just don't know it yet. I can only hope that once these gals find out that their friend is a Mormon, they will realize that Mormons are regular, decent people who although imperfect, are worth loving too.

“Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

“Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

“This is the first and great commandment.

“And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." (Matthew 22:36-40)

No comments: